We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Petzl Sirocco Helmet and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 20
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Very lightweight and breathable.
- The bright colors offer good visibility to your climbing partners.
- Easy to mount a headlamp using the elastic system.
- The chin strap is easy to adjust.
- The mixture of foams used in the construction makes it relatively durable and offers good impact resistance.
- So comfortable it is almost unnoticeable.
- Very lightweight.
- Offers good ventilation.
- The headlamp holder has a design that can hold external battery pack headlamps well.
- Offers pretty good durability to protect from every-day wear and tear.
- Offers major improvements from the last model introduced in 2013.
- Offers a much lower profile than the previous model.
- Shockingly lightweight for a helmet certified for climbing and skiing.
- Adjustment mechanism is smart and easy to manipulate so you can switch between wearing a beanie, hat, or nothing under the helmet easily.
- Petzl customer service is fast and responsive, especially when compared to some other outdoor brands.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- The magnetic buckle picks up a lot of pebbles, which can clog it and make it difficult to fasten.
- The vents allow great breathability in the summer, but pick up a lot of wind-blown snow in the winter.
- Some people find it hard to adjust sizing but others think it is intuitive and easy.
- The magnetic buckle can be a bit finicky, although it does increase the ease of use while wearing gloves.
- One of the most expensive mountaineering helmets you can buy.
- While having a magnetic buckle on the chin strap is nice to have, the mechanism can be a little fiddly and tricky to engage/disengage.
The Petzl Sirocco Helmet is a champion for its light weight and impressive durability, allowing people to look past the high price, especially for the new and improved version that was unveiled in 2017. So light that it can be easily forgotten on your head, it is very comfortable and durable to everyday bumps while also offering full protection from rocks and falls. Although the magnetic buckle can pick up a lot of debris, this complaint is small for those who can afford to buy this highly effective and beloved helmet.