We’ve read the reviews across the web for the GooseFeet Gear Custom Down Jacket and summarize the results below:
PeakScore: 94 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.6 stars
Expert Rating: 5 stars
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 38
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Ben (the owner of the company) is awesome – he is responsive and easy to work with.
- Ridiculously light and warm.
- Lighter and warmer than anything you can buy elsewhere.
- These jackets are expensive but the quality, ultra-light weight, and warmth is worth every penny.
- Regarding price, if you avoid too much customization, the price is actually comparable to other down jackets on the market.
- Similarly priced jackets from big brands are heavier and not as warm.
- Ben, the owner of GFG, rocks!
- This company is pushing the boundaries of what can be manufactured and changing the game for the entire industry.
- The customization process is simple and Ben will even talk to you on the phone.
- They can do rush jobs.
- Measurement process is fairly simple to follow.
- The ultralight weight 8D fabric is soft, glossy and is resistant to down poking through.
- Blows away the Arc’teryx Cerium, in terms of weight and warmth.
- Even after your jacket is completed, they can still make updates to it for you.
- Very little down leakage.
- Jackets use such high quality down fill that they are easily compressible.
- The hood is great – when you turn your head, the hood turns with you.
- Nearly unlimited customization options.
- They can actually add extra down to your jacket if it’s not warm enough at first.
- The most impressive warmth-to-weight ratio down jacket on the planet.
- Quality is top-notch.
- Uber-ultralight weight.
- Ben, the owner, lists his phone number on their website and he answers the phone!
- Fabric feels nice against your skin.
- Expensive but reasonable and fair price for what you get.
- Ben, the owner, is insanely fast with communications.
- These custom jackets blow the hubcaps off the competition.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- It would be nice if they provided a diagram to help explain the body measurement process.
- Their website could use more photos along with specs of other custom jackets they’ve made.
- Since they’re a small shop, if they get a wave of orders, the turnaround time can slow down a bit. However, Ben is great at communicating.
- Some fabrics they used in the past tended to leak down, but it seems this issue has been corrected.
- Expensive but fair for what you get.
- Providing custom measurements can be scary in case you get it wrong.
- Internal seams are not “polished” but are 100% functional.
- Production time can be a little long.
- Cost is high but the product is top-notch.
The GooseFeet Gear Custom Down Jacket blows the hubcaps off the competition. Their custom down jackets have the highest warmth-to-weight ratio on the market… by a mile. Not only that, but each jacket is customized to your body measurements and your desired set of features. The owner is accessible, extremely easy to communicate with, and helpful. While the price is high, it is more than fair given the exceptional product that is delivered.
Note: User and expert rankings were reviewed across the web. Some expert reviews include these: 1, 2, 3, 4.
Where to Buy:
You can contact Ben to begin your down jacket customization project at Goosefeet Gear here.