We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Petzl Glacier Ice Axe and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 71
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Great for alpine hikes due to the shorter shaft.
- Effective at self-arresting.
- Able to use for basic mountaineering or backpacking.
- Good value for the product.
- Comes in three different lengths.
- Anodized aluminum shaft is lightweight.
- The steel pick is aggressively toothed for grip on ice and terrain.
- The handle has good grip for keeping your hand on the ice pick.
- Performs well for self-arresting and steep climbing.
- The design lets it perform well on clearing ice and chopping steps.
- The clip accommodates most carabiners for functionality.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Too short to use as a walking aid.
- The 68cm size might be too big for the last steep stretch during a climb.
- Despite performing well on steep climbing, there are other picks that work better for consistently steep routes.
The Petzl Glacier Ice Axe is a lightweight, aggressively-toothed, and functionally-designed axe. It is not ideal for consistently steep routes or use as a walking aid due to the shaft length. For those who want a lightweight option that is easy to carry and deploy, this is a great choice.