We’ve read the reviews on the web for Osprey Packs Exos Backpack and summarize the results below:
Peak Score: 84 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.3 stars
Expert Rating 4.2 stars
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Very lightweight – sub 3 pounds!
- The perfect mix of carrying capabilities and ultralight design
- Good placement of water bottle pocket next to hips
- Shoulder harness and back breathe well
- Can be used as a backpacking pack or a daypack (if you carry a lot of gear for your family on day hikes)
- Lightest backpack with a frame
- Lightweight perimeter frame provides great load transfer and control
- Great pockets and features
- Lots of external attachment points all around the pack
- Close to half the weight of many tradition backpacking packs
- Even with the extreme lightweight, it gives up little when it comes to performance and comfort
- Best at carrying loads under 30 lbs and not bad in 35-40 lbs range
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Hip belt is small compared to other packs and the adjusters extend beyond the hip pad so they can dig into your abdomen and pelvis
- I want to like it, but the shoulder harness and hip belt keeps hurting me!
- This is an ultralight pack, so beware that the materials can cut and rip if abused
- This is a smaller pack, so using a compression sack for your sleeping bag is helpful
- Average durability
- I recommend you don’t bushwack with this pack in order to keep the pockets from tearing
- Heavier than true “ultralight” packs, but a lot more comfortable
- Hip belt is not adjustable
- No hip belt or shoulder strap pockets
- If the pack doesn’t fit you off-the-shelf, give it a pass
The Exos family of packs are ultralight, versatile and intuitively designed. The Exos is shockingly lightweight for a pack with a frame and doesn’t sacrifice much when carrying low to medium loads. Some recent updates may not be for everyone, so take a look at our review to see for yourself.
For the 2018 model, hip belt and shoulder strap pockets were removed, thicker materials were utilized, and the harness system was optimized.