We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Five Ten Moccasym Climbing Shoe and summarize the results below:
PeakScore: 81 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.2 stars
Expert Rating: 3.7 stars
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 275
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Comfortable to wear for prolonged periods.
- Flexible and soft to bend to your needs.
- Fits your foot snugly and securely.
- Stealth C4 rubber for confidence.
- Good for long-sustained multi-pitch climbing.
- A decent choice for bouldering and less-steep routes.
- Great choice for beginners wanting a comfortable shoe.
- Great for crack-climbing on bigger cracks.
- Good for smearing due to sensitivity and sticky rubber.
- Flat profile builds foot strength and improves technique.
- Quick break-in period.
- Lack of support forces beginners to build foot strength, and allows versatility for experienced climbers.
- Ability to resole the shoe.
- Great for hand-cracks and training in the gym.
- Easy to get on and off.
- A workhorse shoe for all-day comfortable crack-climbing and multi-pitch routes.
- Good for slap climbing since sensitivity allows you to feel the micro divots.
- Sensitive on feet, so can feel all terrains.
- Lack of velcro and laces means the shoe won’t get caught on any obstacles.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Not aggressive enough for overhung routes.
- Newer versions have reportedly shown some tearing and durability concerns.
- Not a good choice for heel-hooking.
- Can turn your foot red.
- Need to down-size at least a half-size for a performance fit.
- Rubber sole is thicker than previous models, which may deter some.
- Stretches out a lot when compared to other climbing shoes.
- Comfy and symmetrical shape, but not good for pockets.
- Not good for edging due to stretching-out over time.
- Can’t get foot in any thin cracks.
- Rising price means the shoe is no longer a bargain.
The Five Ten Moccasym Climbing Shoe is a good choice for beginners that are looking to focus on easier crack-climbing, bouldering, smearing, gym training, and forgoing small pockets and edging. The comfortable material, short break-in period, sticky rubber, sensitivity, and flat profile make this an ideal choice for climbers looking for a versatile shoe.