We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XTherm Sleeping Pad and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 351
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Very effective and easy to use repair kit included.
- Kept users warm well below freezing, while still being comfortable in 80 degree weather.
- This is a very comfy pad, some users said they liked it more than their mattress at home.
- Plenty durable if you take care in handling.
- At 15 oz for its regular size, even an ultralighter wouldn’t be too embarrassed about this pad.
- This pad rates among the highest in comfort.
- Under a pound, and packing down to the size of a Nalgene, this pad is great for conserving weight and volume.
- While it didn’t rate the very highest in every category, it rated consistently near the top in every category.
- 5.7 R value is an incredible amount of insulation for a pad this light.
- The stuff sack doubles as an effective pump, reducing your strain and risk of moisture contamination.
- No slip fabric keeps the pad relatively still on your sleeping surface.
- This pad was designed to be a true 4 season pad, and it easily meets that claim.
- With a limited lifetime warranty, this pad is sure to stick around for a long time.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- You get what you pay for, and you’re paying for a whole lot with this pad. Expensive is almost an understatement.
- Some users reported defective units in 2019, but all had a quick replacement turnaround.
- It’s pretty crinkly if you’re with light sleepers.
- You’ll be using that awesome repair kit a lot, as this pad has a tendency to develop pinhole leaks.
- The pad is narrow at 20 inches, and the unstable edges make the effective width of the pad closer to 18 inches.
- While it’s one of the highest rated pads out there, it’s also one of the highest costing.
- The biggest drawback on its comfort rating was the loud crinkles.
- Ease of inflation scored low since the pump bag is a little awkward, and it takes about 25-30 breaths to fill up.
The Therm-a-Rest XTherm Sleeping Pad is an insulated four-season air mattress. Weighing just 15 oz, it’s exceptionally lightweight, durable, and packs up small, which explains its popularity with winter campers and backpackers. While you need to take care in handling, and get good at using your repair kit, the pad is still plenty durable, and widely considered one of the comfiest on the market.