We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Patagonia R1 Fleece 1/2-Zip Pullover – Men’s and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 66
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- This fleece is exceedingly comfortable and soft.
- The breathability, sweat-wicking capabilities, and warmth make it very versatile.
- The pocket is a great holder for compact objects.
- Very packable and easy to take on any trip.
- The fleece resists odors very well, even without washing.
- The extreme breathability make it perfect for when you are working up a sweat in colder temperatures.
- This fleece is made of recycled bottles, and Patagonia’s commitment to environmental causes means it has a much lower impact on the environment than other fleeces.
- Incredibly compressible!
- The shoulder seams sit low, making it more comfortable to wear with a backpack
Reasons NOT to buy:
- The fit of the piece has changed since the last version, with a looser-fitting body and a tighter cut in the arms.
- This piece runs large, but the athletic cut makes it hard to wear layers underneath.
- The fabric starts to pill after washing.
- The high breathability of the fleece sacrifices wind resistance.
- The fabric is not incredibly durable and snags easily on rocks and branches.
- This fleece sacrifices fashion for technical use, which may be a problem for those looking for an “around-town” sweater.
The Patagonia R1 Fleece 1/2-Zip Pullover for men defines versatility with its warmth, breathability, packability, and sweat-wicking. Although not as beloved as some older versions (or the R1 Hoody), it is still the go-to for high-exertion activities in cold temperatures and can be reliably used year-round. While there are complaints about the fit in the arms, people continue to love how well it breathes and compresses.