We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Petzl Grigri + Belay Device and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 126
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Proficient handling when lowering heavier people.
- The handle is large enough to provide full control, while shedding down the weight.
- Useful for both sport and lead climbing, since it is easy to switch between the two styles.
- Smaller than the original model, without sacrificing build quality.
- Features a steel plate for protection.
- The newer model is able to handle thinner ropes, up to 8.5mm.
- Great for an experienced sport climber who needs an automatic belay device.
- Lighter than the previous model.
- Easy to switch modes from top rope to lead climbing.
- Great choice for beginners.
- Easy to give slack.
- Able to use the belay device on solo climbs.
- Features an ‘anti-panic’ feature, which stops the descent when the belayer pulls back too hard on the lowering handle.
- The ability to switch between top rope and lead belaying makes it easier to take up and play out slack.
- Optimal function on ropes 8.9-10.5mm, which are the most common diameters among climbers.
- The high-use areas are formulated with stainless steel.
- Able to set the spring tension in the cams by turning the plastic knob.
- The steel plate reduces wear and enhances longevity.
- Rated a 9/10 for ‘catch and bite’ rating.
- The GriGri + has a high range for lowering compared to other similar models.
- Smooth assisted braking device due to wide range of diameter acceptance.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Does not feed as well when lead belaying with a well-used rope.
- If you pull back, the ‘panic’ feature will engage, even if you don’t mean for it to.
- The safety features may not be necessary for advanced climbers.
- The movement can take practice for it to become efficient and effortless.
- Heavier than the GriGri 2.
- Without practice, can be too slow or shaky when rappelling and lowering.
- Feeding slack can be difficult for ropes thicker than 10mm or thinner than 9.2mm.
- Only works on a single strand, meaning you will need to bring another device for double-strand rappels.
The Petzl GriGri + Belay Device is a top-of-the-line option for all levels of climbers. The ‘anti-panic’ feature sets this apart from other similar models, which after enough practice, will enhance the safety of the climber and the confidence in the belayer.