We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Black Diamond Contact Strap Crampon and summarize the results below:
PeakScore: 90 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.4 stars
Expert Rating: 4.8 stars
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 144
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Ability to be strapped to almost any closed-toe footwear.
- Grips well on snow and ice.
- Good traction for a 10 point boot.
- The aggressive shape is ideal for relatively high angle hard-pack snow.
- Versatile and durable.
- The bindings grip well and stay secure.
- Multiple reports of not popping off of the boot.
- Able to put them on without removing gloves or mittens.
- The anti-balling system prevents snow from clumping to the bottom and preventing traction.
- Works well on ice and on slopes up to 50 degrees.
- Only takes a few seconds to put on and cinch around boots.
- The crampons do not slip or have any give.
- Protects against corrosion, promoting the durability.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- The least amount of grip is in slush.
- Since it is made of steel, it is a bit heavier than lighter but less durable alternatives.
- Since the strap runs through the toe cap, it may wear over time.
The Black Diamond Contact Strap Crampon is a great choice for anyone needing a durable, aggressive, and grippy crampon for relatively high-angle ascents and descents. The secure fit on all boots and shoes makes this crampon a top choice.