We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Bell Super 3R MIPS Helmet and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 253
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Chin bar comes on and off easily when wanted.
- Padding in the chin guard is removable for those who want more ventilation or do not want the chin guard to touch their face.
- The chin bar stays secure during falls and reviewers say that this helmet protects and performs well during even large crashes.
- Offers good visibility.
- Lightweight feel.
- Easy to store the chin bar in a riding backpack.
- Fits well on the head without hitting pressure points.
- Reconfigured padding to alleviate pain on pressure points.
- Gives a good sense of security when the chin bar is on and when it is off.
- Much lighter than similar helmets, especially downhill-certified helmets.
- The chin bar is easy to remove and put back on.
- Removable cheek pads to fit a larger variety of face shapes.
- A versatile helmet for those just starting to need full-face protection but not needing a downhill-rated helmet.
- The visor is adjustable to help with storing goggles.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- The chin strap is not very comfortable.
- Does not have a goggle strap.
- Reviewers wish that this helmet came in an XL size.
- Not downhill certified.
- Not compatible with all sunglasses frames.
- Can be difficult to remove the chin guard while wearing gloves.
- The adjustment dial can be hard to adjust up and down.
The Bell Super 3R MIPS Helmet is great for those who want stability and face protection for burlier rides, but who are not ready to invest in a fully downhill rated piece. This helmet is lighter than DH rated ones, and the removable chin guard makes it versatile for every day use or more intense rides, with ventilation on the head and chin that makes it suitable for all climates. One thing this helmet excels at is the customizable fit, with the option to take out some or all of the padding in the chin and the easy-to-use knob adjustment system on the head, although those with larger heads wish it came in an XL size.