We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Black Diamond Vapor Helmet and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 167
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Soft chin strap.
- Can fit ponytail between two-way ratcheting head strap and helmet.
- So light and comfortable you’ll forget you’re even wearing a helmet.
- Fits large heads.
- Can fit a skull cap underneath the helmet for colder days.
- Great ventilation.
- European Community (CE) certified.
- Low-profile design.
- Helmet sits lower on your forehead than most other helmets.
- Two-way ratcheting head strap allows for easy adjustments and snug fits.
- Comes in a “blizzard” color which is great at reflecting the sun and not heating up.
- Helmet pads can be removed for washing.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Helmet is fragile and requires special care.
- Inner padding easily broke off.
- Not durable.
- Non-adjustable V-yoke for the chin strap.
- Removable headlamp clips are easy to lose.
- Dents, dimples, and dings easily.
- Cannot transport helmet inside a backpack.
- Not Union Internationale des Associations d’Alpinisme (UIAA) certified.
The Black Diamond Vapor helmet’s appeal comes from how light and comfortable it is (you’ll forget it’s on your head). Ideal for fast and light alpine ascents and climbing on hot days, this helmet is more on the fragile side (dents and dings easily) so you’ll need to handle it with care.