We’ve read the reviews across the web for the La Sportiva Futura Climbing Shoe and summarize the results below:
PeakScore: 83 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.1 stars
Expert Rating: 4.4 stars
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 54
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Sensitive to the rock.
- Improves confidence in the climber’s feet, not just the shoes.
- Excellent flexibility and fit for overhangs and heel hooking.
- The velcro closures go all the way to the toes and allow for an easily adjustable fit.
- The rounded toe allows for excellent sensitivity and stability in small holes.
- Does well while smearing.
- Comfortable for such an aggressive shoe.
- The rounded toe increases surface area against the rock.
- Very grippy rubber.
- An extremely sensitive shoe that allows you to feel the rock beneath your feet.
- Redefines edging by allowing you to transfer power directly to the rock, instead of relying on an artificial edge.
- Allows for fantastic dexterity in the toes that translate well to pockets.
- Excels on steep and overhanging rock.
- Durable rubber.
- Encourages better footwork.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- The tightening straps and the toe are weak points and can rip easily on sharp rocks.
- The heel is not snug on low volume feet.
- Can be overkill for beginner or intermediate climbers.
- Too specialized to be versatile.
- Requires more effort to climb in, although it gets results on the wall.
- Requires time to get used to climbing in.
- The stretch is minimal during the break in period.
- Does not offer enough support for comfort on long routes.
The La Sportiva Futura Climbing Shoe forces your feet to do the dirty work themselves, but they get results, particularly when bouldering, and on steep and overhanging rock. With no edges, the shoes allow for more contact with the rock, and a more sensitive feel, but also do not allow for sloppy footwork, even though the rubber is grippy and the shoe snug. With an aggressive fit and a somewhat flexible sole, these are not suitable for beginners, and do not work well for all pitches, but will reward expert climbers who are willing to spend a bit of time re-learning how to climb well in these futuristic slippers.