We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Black Diamond Cyborg Pro Crampon and summarize the results below:
PeakScore: 88 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.6 stars
Expert Rating: 4 stars
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 61
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Solid and stable.
- Able to stick into ice with ease.
- Long-lasting over multiple years.
- Holds well and securely in ice.
- Allows for confidence in mixed climb situations.
- Relatively easy and quick to set up.
- No reports of unwanted slipping while using.
- Features two vertical-front points that are convertible to mono-points for adjustability.
- Great for steep routes and mixed technical routes.
- The stainless steel provides durability.
- Will accommodate most boot-types due to having a choice of Clip or Pro binding.
- The side-points provide efficiency at outside edging.
- The accurate front-points provide a good choice for technical mountaineering.
- The low-profile aids in fitting boots securely.
- The crampon design allows for sensitivity on mixed terrain.
- The stainless steel doesn’t rust and saves weight.
- The adjustable front-points provide customization abilities.
- Due to customization possibilities, this crampon basically gives the user 3 different crampons in one purchase.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- The stainless steel teeth have reports of wearing out quicker than they should.
- Somewhat complicated to make the anti-balling plate modifications.
- No instructions provided on how to move the toe bails.
- Reports of sometimes being hard to fit and stay on properly.
- Can be difficult to switch to mono-point setup efficiently and quickly.
The Black Diamond Cyborg Pro Crampon is a highly-versatile, functional, and durable option that withstands wear-and-tear. The challenge of switching modes and getting the fit correct pails in comparison to the efficiency, security, and stability these crampons provide.