We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Outdoor Research Cathode Insulated Hooded Jacket – Men’s and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 76
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Stylish and functional.
- Breathable and packs well.
- Good for layering in colder temperatures.
- Keeps you warm but prevents overheating due to breathability.
- Features Pertex 20D for durability.
- Baffled for increased warmth.
- PrimaLoft Gold is lightweight and warm.
- Keeps you warm even when the material gets wet.
- Hood is well-designed and provides a snug fit around your head.
- Performs very well as a mid-layer, under a shell for wind protection.
- Warmer than other ‘hybrid’ jackets on the market.
- Scores high in terms of comfort due to the enhanced mobility and the stretchy side panels.
- Hood cinches down on top of your head and provides adequate mobility.
- Features quilted sections where the jacket touches your chin for comfort.
- The zipper pulls are easy to use, and secure the hand pockets and chest pocket for storage.
- Two drop-in pockets allow for secure storage inside the jacket.
- Elastic cuffs are used on the sleeves to keep them in place, and are lined with a soft, quilted material for comfort.
- The third lightest jacket in this review.
- Created for a balance between breathability and wind-resistance, for efficiency.
- Features 60 grams of PrimaLoft Gold, providing adequate warmth.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Might be too warm for some intense activities.
- Doesn’t block heavier wind.
- Hood does not fit over a helmet.
- Reports of the jacket running a size small.
- The stretchy side panels allow for breathability, but let warmth escape.
- The wind can enter through the side panels.
- No DWR treatment on the outer fabric.
The Outdoor Research Cathode Insulated Hooded Jacket for men is a versatile, breathable, mobile, and warm mid-layer jacket that is suitable for multiple activities in a variety of climates. Despite not being the best in one metric, this jacket scores highly on all fronts and is a great all-around choice for almost any outdoor adventure.