We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Black Diamond First Light Insulated Hooded Jacket – Men’s and summarize the results below:
PeakScore: 87 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.7 stars
Expert Rating: 3.6 stars
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 138
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Very warm without being bulky.
- Sheds light precipitation and blocks light wind.
- Trim fit with long arms for full coverage.
- Breathable during use.
- Versatile enough to wear on outdoor adventures and around the town.
- Breathability on par with other synthetic options on the market.
- The face fabric is burly enough to wear over a shell.
- Uses PrimaLoft Silver Active insulation which doesn’t lose warming qualities when wet.
- Keeps you warm into the 30’s (Fahrenheit).
- The water-repellent finish works well.
- Able to cut out harsh winds from entering the jacket.
- Very breathable and insulating.
- Extremely durable due to the 40-denier nylon outer fabric.
- Helmet-compatible hood provides good protection.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Not a lot of room for ample layering underneath.
- Some reports of leaking insulation.
- Doesn’t pack as small as some other insulated options.
- Some people may want some more stretch for ample mobility.
- Area near the cuffs can wet out during prolonged exposure to precipitation.
- Not as light as a down jacket.
- Not as compressible as down.
- No adjustability on the hood.
- Some reports of the fit being boxy around the torso for some people.
The Black Diamond First Light Insulated Hooded Jacket for men is a durable, breathable, and insulating layer that works well down to near-freezing temperatures. The technical features, like a helmet-compatible hood and water-repellent finish, make this a great option for backcountry and front country users alike.
Note: User and expert rankings were reviewed across the web. Some expert reviews include these: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.