We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Smith Quantum MIPS Helmet and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 130
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Goggle retention system integrates well with adjustable vents.
- Users loved the snug, warm fit of the helmet, even before making any BOA adjustments.
- Great balance of style, safety, and function.
- When closed, the 22 vents really don’t let in any air.
- One of the safest helmets out there.
- Helmet lining is simultaneously warm and wicks sweat away to keep head dry.
- BOA fit adjustment system personalizes fit and is easy to use with gloves on.
- Nice variety of understated colors available.
- Tight helmet seal with Julbo, Zeal, Giro, Native Eyewear, Smith, Oakley, and POC goggles.
- Short visor cuts down on wind slippage through goggles, which may be helpful for those that tend to tear up on cold descents.
- 2 slider mechanisms effectively lock vents closed for colder days, but with 22 vents there is ample ventilation for warmer days too.
- Buckle and strap system can be manipulated with one hand.
- Bombshell earpads are removable for warmer days.
- When worn without a beanie or buff underneath, the helmet’s ear cups are fairly warm and very comfortable.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Some users found pressure points developing after a full day with a beanie or buff under the helmet.
- If fully open, vents are a bit loud when skiing.
- Users had mixed reviews of the new magnetic chin strap buckle; some loved it, some had trouble getting it to connect properly with gloves on.
- Inner fabric liner is difficult if not impossible to remove for washing.
- A bit heavier than other helmets of similar caliber.
- Earpiece zipper is hard to use for those wishing to add audio compatibility.
- Some users expressed interest in more solid color options in place of the bicolor options.
- Ear cups may cause discomfort after a full day wearing a beanie or Buff under the helmet.
- Small visor may make removing goggles to rest on top of the helmet difficult.
The Smith Quantum MIPS Helmet is one of the highest quality helmets on the market, with the attention to detail and technology typical of Smith. Significantly more expensive than other options, you get what you pay for with this helmet not only in terms of safety, but also in features, tech, and warmth. Its best features include the BOA fit adjustment system, warm earpads and adjustable vents that actually keep air out or let it in when ventilation is needed. For those who spend a lot of time on the mountain and are looking for something that will keep them comfortable and safe in any and all conditions, this helmet will certainly deliver.