We’ve read the reviews across the web for the ARVA Neo+ Beacon and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 4
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Contains a motion sensor to prevent unnecessary changes from ‘searching’ to ‘transmitting’ mode, saving battery and time.
- Features a holster-style harness for security.
- Provides excellent range to increase safety and functionality.
- Contains all of the necessary features that backcountry users need to use.
- The different colored harness straps make it easy to put on the harness correctly the first time around.
- The screen is bright and easy to read for added user-friendliness.
- Switching from ‘Send’ to ‘Search’ is easy by just sliding the transceiver, limiting any complicated button-pressing.
- The buttons are labeled and easy-to-use, increasing user efficiency.
- Capable of detecting another beacon from over 70 meters, adding to the safety and functionality of this beacon.
- Turns on and off by using a twist dial, increasing the ease-of-use.
- The harness is easy to take on and off for added functionality.
- The beacon is a good price compared to other similar options on the market.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- The Neo+ is heavier than the original Neo, so might not be the best choice for those ultralight travelers.
- The grey slider can be difficult to quickly move up and down while wearing gloves or mittens.
- Snow can get stuck behind the slider button, preventing it from returning to the ‘Transmit’ function and limiting the bad weather capabilities.
- The directional arrows disappear at 3 meters, which requires users to practice and get used to this setting.
- Can be difficult to change the volume control and noise feedback to soften the audio feedback.
- The flagging options can be tedious and confusing for beginners to use at first, reducing the intuitiveness.
The ARVA Neo+ Beacon is a mostly easy-to-use, functional, and feature-filled beacon that has a vast signal range. Despite having a bit of a learning curve when first starting out, once you get used to the buttons and features of this beacon, you will enjoy a user-friendly and well-priced beacon for avalanche and search-and-rescue scenarios.