We’ve read the reviews across the web for the MSR Lightning Ascent Snowshoe – Men’s and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 92
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Does a great job of keeping traction over icy terrain.
- Works well in deep powder for a snowshoe.
- The lighter weight makes it suitable for all day hiking.
- Traction is great on various surfaces.
- Good flotation in deep snow.
- Lightweight and reliable.
- Able to easily flip the back riser bar to keep your foot level and efficiently climb uphills.
- Provides 360 degree traction around the entire frame for ample grip.
- Uses a thicker and continuous piece of steel that improves bending resistance, making the snowshoes easier to use and more sturdy.
- Durable frame and teeth, even during tough use.
- Able to stay above or just below the snow even when carrying loads.
- The elastic straps and buckle prevent any snow buildup.
- Works well for both on and off the trail, enhancing the versatility.
- Can purchase an extender which adds 5” to the end of your snowshoe, which adds float in deep powder.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Some reports of the straps getting really stiff in cold weather, making clipping very difficult.
- Some reports of not having enough side to side stability.
- The clips that hold the excess strap don’t work very well, and the straps can flop around.
- The hinged attachment of the binding to the deck makes it less comfortable for walking on firm trails.
- Some users had problems with the straps that secure the belt style buckle in the binding.
- The tails of the straps weren’t long enough to easily grab.
The MSR Lightning Ascent Snowshoe for men is a durable, high-traction, and adjustable snowshoe that works well on various terrain, in deep snow, and for on and off-trail. Despite some issues with the straps, the ability of this snowshoe to keep you floating above, or just below, deep snow makes them a very good choice for any snowshoer. In addition, the extremely good grip rated by both users and experts provides a reliable and trustworthy option for the backcountry.