We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Scarpa Gecko Approach Shoe – Men’s and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 57
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Tread is a low profile but can grip on various terrain.
- The fit is functional and comfortable.
- Great choice for technical scrambling due to the material and construction.
- Lightweight and no spots of pinching or irritating while wearing.
- The feel is tactical for intense terrain and scrambling.
- Lugs in the midfoot and rear of the shoe enhance traction.
- The dual-density midsole offers both stiffness and support for stability.
- Over-the-toe rubber provides functionality for toe crack climbing.
- Loosening the laces lets you easily transition between climbing and belaying.
- The tightened laces can increase climbing abilities on vertical terrain.
- The combination of suede and polyester have created a breathable and ventilated shoe.
- The sole is aggressive for smearing and technical edging for a performance-oriented shoe.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Some reports of durability issues with the shoe holding up in the toe area.
- Very stiff shoes, which some users may not like.
- Uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time while wearing a heavy pack.
- You might experience some cuff wear due to the soft, suede upper.
- At the higher end of the price range for climbing shoes.
- Despite the soft upper being somewhat breathable, this is not the best shoe for super hot days.
The Scarpa Gecko Approach Shoe for men is a functional, supportive, and adjustable shoe that works well on a variety of terrain. Despite not being the best choice for very hot climates and taking a while to break-in, this shoe provides grip, comfort, and smearing abilities.