We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Orvis Hydros SL Fly Reel and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 357
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- The drag is smooth and provides ease to use.
- Balance rods very well for easy functionality.
- Very lightweight when compared to other options.
- Durable and prevents scratches during use.
- Easy to make quick adjustments on the fly.
- Uses high-quality materials and construction for a long-lasting product.
- Provides great quality for the price.
- The handle is comfortable and ergonomic to hold during use.
- The reel is lighter overall than the previous models for ease of use.
- The drag is very consistent for ease of use.
- Provides a really good value for spending just under $200.
- Waterproof to protect against inclement weather.
- The startup inertia and drag is powerful for performance on the water.
- The drag system is fully sealed for complete compatibility and functionality.
- The minimal sounds produced during the reel clicks is not too loud during use.
- The build is sturdy and durable for long lasting use.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- The bearings are prone to rusting after a prolonged period of time.
- The reel covers are a bit awkward and tedious to get on and off.
- The drag knob can be a bit difficult to grip and reduces the efficiency.
- There is a tiny bit of play in the handle, which can be annoying to some users.
- The drag knob could use some extra grip and a thumb indent for easy turning.
- There is some resistance to the spool spinning in the reverse direction which limits the functionality.
The Orvis Hydros SL Fly Reel is a high-quality, functional, and durable option that works well for multiple fishing seasons. With a great value for the money, this fly reel makes up for a small drag knob by providing fast line retrieval, a sturdy build, and zero startup inertia.