We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Yakima GateKeeper Tailgate Pad and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 269
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Easy installs on various types of vehicles.
- Compatible with a Thule strap for extra tightening and security.
- Can carry two mountain bikes over uneven and unsteady terrain.
- The padding is thick to fully protect the tailgate of your vehicle.
- Provides molded holders for a personalized fit of your bike.
- The nylon straps and latches securely hold the tailgate pad to your truck bed without any moving or budging during use.
- Quick to stow and put away for ease-of-use.
- The microfleece liner protects your tailgate from any scratches or dents.
- Holds up to inclement weather due to the sturdy and heavy-duty construction and material.
- The outer surface is abrasion-resistant for tough use.
- The strap system provides extra tightness and adjustability for a secure hold of your bikes.
- Can hold up to 5 bikes for ample capacity and compatibility.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- The Velcro straps might not be durable enough to last multiple months.
- The Velcro is weak and might not provide a secure and strong hold.
- The stitching comes undone on the pads after minimal use, showing a lack of durability.
- On the more expensive end of the price spectrum when compared to other tailgate pads.
- The stitching shows a lack of durability that will be concerning to some users.
- Pretty basic and contains very few features when compared to other similar tailgate pads.
- Despite being able to fit 5 bikes on the carrier, it might be too close of a fit and can end up in some bikes getting scratched.
The Yakima GateKeeper Tailgate Pad is a heavy-duty, compatible, and adjustable option that works well for carrying multiple bikes over tough terrain. Despite some durability questions about the Velcro straps, this tailgate pad protects your bikes and your car, ensuring nothing gets damaged in the process of transporting your sporting equipment.