We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Backcountry Access BC Link and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 153
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Smart Mic has glove-friendly controls for ease.
- Smart Mic Unit features a push-to-talk button, on/off switch, volume control, battery indicator, loudspeaker, channel selection, and an earphone jack for accessibility.
- The battery charge lasts multiple days and recharges in a few hours from a full-drain.
- Secure cord connection and clip for shoulder or sternum strap.
- Compatible with standard FRS/GMRS radios.
- Integrates well with BCA pack.
- Adequate range of about 2+ miles through backcountry.
- Easy to set up.
- Features NOAA weather radio.
- The lithium battery provides 140 hours of running time.
- 22 FRS and GMRS channels, plus 121 sub-channels to provide versatility.
- Features on/off/volume control and ability to change frequencies from the remote speaker/mic.
- Designed to keep radio portion secure in your pack, while the remote speaker/mic can be clipped to your strap.
- BCA states the radio conforms to standard IP56, and is waterproof.
- Both the hand mic and base unit cases have durable metal fasteners.
- Features lanyard mount to enable hanging from the inside of your pack.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Push-to-talk button is small and is hard to accurately press with gloves on.
- If the mic is positioned incorrectly no one can hear you.
- The connector will sometimes unlock itself.
- Unit may not transmit at lower battery levels.
- Channels may accidentally get changed if you bump the dial, even if you lock the channel.
- The microphone piece comes unplugged from radio occasionally.
- Lacks a charging/charged indicator that works when the handset is disconnected.
- Waterproof, but may not withstand being submerged in water.
The Backcountry Access BC Link is a durable two-way radio with minimal frills and a long battery life. It provides users with the ability to reliably communicate in backcountry and front country settings for extended periods of time.