We’ve read the reviews on the web for The North Face ThermoBall Insulated Jacket and summarize the results below:
Peak Score: 84 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.7 stars
Expert Rating 3.0 stars
Learn more about Peak Score and Ratings.
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Warm and packs down small
- Provides good protection from wind
- Totally blown away at how warm this jacket is
- It is breathable
- Perfect three season jacket
- Stitching more sturdy than Patagonia Nano Puff
- Burliest shell fabric of any similar jacket
- Good weather resistance with capable wind breaking abilities
- Effective durable water-repellent treatment
- Packs easily into its own pocket and has a clip in loop
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Runs a little large and bulky
- Needs a proper stash pocket on inside
- Could use a little more insulation
- Stitching can come apart
- Bulky shoulders and torso, so size down if this is a concern
- A little heavier than some similar jackets
- Less athletic fit than the Patagonia Nano Puff
This is a very popular jacket that is more durable than similar jackets, is easily packable into its own pocket, and has a unique quilting pattern that reduces cold spots. It is does a good job of protecting from wind and has an impressive water repellent treatment. Some people have found the fit to be a little bulky but this is a personal preference.
For 2018, the baffle pattern has been updated in order to decrease cold spots in the jacket.
There is a video of this jacket by Moosejaw, but it has a lot of yelling and is a little obnoxious. Nonetheless, it provides a good video example of what the jacket looks like. You can check the video out here.
User rankings were reviewed on backcountry.com, thenorthface.com, and amazon.com. Expert rankings were reviewed on outdoorgearlab.com and alloutdoorsguide.com.