We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Patagonia Down Sweater Jacket – Men’s and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 783
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- This jacket has an incredible reputation and it lives up to it!
- I wear this jacket everywhere, from the office to the cliff face to the ski area.
- Durable construction and pretty lightweight.
- There are unlimited reasons you should own this jacket. It is warm, lightweight, stylish, ethically constructed, etc.
- Clean and simple design that works!
- Uses traceable ethically harvested down.
- Jacket has everything you need and nothing you don’t.
- Very stylish, which also makes it great for wearing around town.
- Face and liner fabrics are made from 100% recycled materials.
- More durable than other lighter weight down jacket options.
- Evenly spaced and filled baffles prevent cold spots.
- A solid price for such a high quality jacket.
- Light weight and comfort is what this jacket is all about.
- With a shell on over it, the uses for this jacket are unlimited.
- The 800-fill-power goose down provides a solid warmth-to-weight ratio. (Although maybe not the best.)
- Very minimal down shedding through the fabric.
- Jacket has a nice trim fit that looks good (although not as athletic of a fit as the Arc’teryx Cerium LT).
- Fleece lined chin guard is cozy.
- Good color options.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- The sizing can be a little tricky so make sure to try it on or buy from a retailer with good customer service.
- Could use more internal pockets.
- Could be more durable, but at least Patagonia stands behind all of their products and will repair or replace it should you have a problem.
- Zippers aren’t the most durable.
- There are warmer down jacket options out there.
- Not the lightest down jacket option.
- Doesn’t use hydrophobic down.
- Doesn’t have the highest weight-to-warmth ratio.
- Compresses decently well, but could be better.
- As with all down products that don’t have a waterproof shell, if it gets wet, it will lose insulating capabilities. This is especially the case when the down isn’t hydrophobically treated. (Although this jacket’s DWR works well for light precipitation.)
The Patagonia Down Sweater Jacket is a classic. It covers all the bases with its warmth, light weight, stylish look and ethical down. While there may be lighter down jackets and warmer down jackets out there, the Patagonia Down Sweater Jacket is an ideal combination of features and performance that will suit most people.