We’ve read the reviews across the web for the The North Face Venture 2 Hooded Jacket – Men’s and summarize the results below:
PeakScore: 87 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.6 stars
Expert Rating: 3.7 stars
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 2183
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- The jacket folds into pocket for storage.
- Pretty lightweight.
- Waterproof and dries quickly.
- Velcro cuffs to adjust sleeves.
- Pit zips allow for ventilation and air flow.
- Very wind-resistant.
- Ability to tighten waistline via drawstring cord.
- DryMembrane material is very durable.
- Inexpensive and lightweight.
- DWR lasted longer than other models in the same price range.
- Elastic at the back of the hood keeps the elements out.
- Pit zips were moved forward to increase ventilation and increase comfort.
- 40D ripstop nylon stands up to wear-and-tear.
- Stuffs into the left-hand pocket and features a clip-in loop when compressed.
- Hang loop at the back of the collar for storage.
- Matrix half-layer adds durability and comfort by separating DryVent waterproof membrane from the skin.
- Chin-guard lining to ensure comfort and no rubbing against the face.
- Zips are covered with stormflaps to keep water out.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Many reports of sleeves being too long.
- Not suitable for wearing alone in colder temperatures, so will need to layer underneath.
- Some reports of the inner-lining having a ‘rubber’ feeling against the skin, which can be uncomfortable when perspiring.
- Velcro allows for sleeve adjustment, but there is no elastic.
- Some reports of sizing running too large.
- No mesh fabric in the interior of the jacket.
- Not very breathable for aerobic activities.
- No chest pockets.
- Hood doesn’t fit over a helmet.
- Not very breathable despite pit zips.
- Hood doesn’t have a stiffened brim.
- Cord locks for hem and hood adjustment are small and can be difficult to use.
- Mobility isn’t the best, because the jacket bunches at the wrists, or has a tendency to move and leave the wrists exposed.
- Coating wears off over time.
- Breathability low at only 750g -800/m²/day.
The North Face Venture 2 Hooded Jacket for men is a basic rain jacket that would be best around town or for light excursions. The relatively low weight, durability, inexpensive price, adjustable hood, and wind-resistance and waterproof abilities make this a safe choice for some outdoor exploits, while the lack of breathability and break-down over time make this unsuitable for prolonged adventures.