We’ve read the reviews across the web for the The North Face ThermoBall Hooded Insulated Jacket – Men’s and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 784
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Fits true to size.
- Synthetic insulation provides warmth even when wet.
- Relatively lightweight.
- Stylish for outdoor use and casual wear.
- Material remains durable, even though soft and lightweight.
- Packs down small for compactibility.
- Ideal for wearing as a mid-layer or alone during shoulder seasons.
- The outside has a soft and silky feel, that is found to be quite durable.
- Standard DWR treatment sheds some water during rainfall, but not meant for prolonged precipitation.
- Extremely large hand pockets for multiple items.
- Oversized hood keeps the wind, rain, and cold out of the face and neck area.
- Thermoball tech that is used is equivalent to 600-fill down, proving to be very warm.
- Two cinches at the front of the neck area for sizing adjustability.
- Two-point adjustable hem around the waist.
- Features a clip-in loop for carabiner use.
- Hood is fully insulated and roomy.
- Can easily accommodate a helmet.
- Elastic cuffs are placed 1.5 inches inside the sleeves, allowing for easy wear with gloves or mittens.
- Available in ten different colors and patterns.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Many requests for more pockets.
- The hood is not detachable or stowable.
- Some reports of the fit being tight in the armpit area when purchasing true to size.
- Can lose warmth after many washes.
- Some reports of a boxier fit throughout the torso, and tighter shoulders.
- Not for stand-alone wear in freezing temperatures.
- Feels larger than other jackets that weigh a similar amount, due to puffiness of the jacket.
- Lining fabric can get clammy when very hot out.
- The ability to pack within itself creates an odd shape, and is easier to pack in any free space you have.
- Not especially breathable for aerobic activities.
- No chest pocket for easy accessibility.
- Hand zips are difficult to open with one hand.
- If you size-up, bulky shoulders and torso could create unwanted airspace, which prevents warmth.
The North Face ThermoBall Hooded Insulated Jacket for men is a good choice for outdoor adventures. The smooth feel, insulated hood, and synthetic insulation of this jacket make it a fine mid-layer or stand-alone jacket in moderate temperatures. However, this jacket is neither the warmest, lightest or most breathable.