We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Outdoor Research Helium II Jacket – Men’s and summarize the results below:
PeakScore: 87 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.5 stars
Expert Rating: 4 stars
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 636
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Waist adjustment strap and hood-adjustment cord at the back of the hood allow for adjustability.
- Very lightweight – only 6.4 ounces!
- Waterproof due to Pertex Shield+ 2.5L 30D ripstop nylon and sealed seams.
- Zippered pocket on chest and velcro pocket inside the left-hand side.
- Internal pocket features small loop for attaching keys.
- Easy to store into a pack.
- Able to stuff into own pocket for compressibility.
- Waterproof zippers.
- Features the water-resistance of a rain jacket, combined with the weight of a wind jacket.
- Two reflective-patches increase safety when exercising outside.
- The elastic cinches on the hood extend up to the temple and not across the brow.
- Chest pocket features as a “stuff pouch” with a clip-in loop for a harness.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- The material can feel clammy during perspiration.
- Elastic wrist openings, but no wrist-adjustment straps, leading to some air escaping or rain entering.
- Not especially breathable.
- Will need to size-up if want to wear layers underneath and not be too snug.
- No pit zips.
- Some reports of tight shoulders and sleeves when purchasing true to size.
- Jacket doesn’t reach very long in the back.
- Loose wrist cuffs can allow heat to escape.
- Does not have any specific ventilation features.
- Does not have any comfort features, such as a micro-fleece chin strap.
- Runs slightly snug, and is a slim-fitting jacket, so should be aware when purchasing.
- Length is a bit short for tall people and can ride up when raising arms.
The Outdoor Research Helium II Jacket for men is a great option for those who want a very lightweight rain jacket. While not super breathable, the feather weight and stripped down feature-set are ideal for fast and light outdoor activities.