We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer Hooded Down Jacket – Men’s and summarize the results below:
PeakScore: 85 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.4 stars
Expert Rating: 3.9 stars
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 93
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Ideal warmth-to-weight ratio.
- Extremely lightweight.
- Highly compressible for easy storage.
- Great option for a mid-layer.
- Wind-resistant in most conditions.
- DWR treatment allows for water-resistance in short periods of precipitation.
- Positive reviews as a stand-alone layer for above freezing temperatures.
- 800 fill power and Q Shield hydrophobic down keep the down from losing all insulation when wet.
- Perfect mid-altitude shoulder season jacket.
- Whisperer ripstop nylon adequately resists the wind.
- DWR coating does a decent job of beading up and shedding water.
- Fits snug to the body in an efficient way, with no baggy space to let heat escape.
- Great mobility in the shoulders, chest, and upper back area.
- Two handwarmer pockets are placed high enough on the jacket that they do not get trapped under a climbing harness.
- The cuffs have an elastic binding and are not adjustable, but have a snug fit.
- An adjustable toggle at the bottom of the jacket to keep out drafts.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Fragile zipper.
- Armpits may be tight on some body types.
- High end of price range when compared to similar products.
- Hood doesn’t have much mobility with head movement.
- Long-fitting jacket and tighter upper-body area, which may not be ideal for some body types.
- No inside chest pocket.
- Some reports of frayed stitching after use.
- Stashes into own pocket, but can be cumbersome and take some time.
- Tendency to get clammy during intense aerobic activity.
- Some issues concerning wear-and-tear and durability.
- Not intended as the sole layer in extremely cold conditions.
- The waist cinch cord remains hanging below the waist.
- Bodywhisperer fabric still absorbs moisture, so not ideal for excessive perspiration or precipitation.
The Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer Hooded Down Jacket for men is a super-light and thin jacket that provides surprising warmth and is best used as a mid-layer in multiple climates. The lack of durability may not make this suitable for an outer layer in rough conditions, but the mobility, packability, and wind/water-resistance make this a great choice for many excursions.