We’ve read the reviews across the web for the The North Face Apex Bionic 2 Softshell Jacket – Men’s and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 2291
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Flexible and mobile.
- Stylish and available in multiple colors.
- Washes well.
- Good for layering over a base layer, or underneath a heavier jacket.
- Resistant to wear-and-tear.
- Chest pocket for storage.
- Bottom hem reaches the top of pant pockets for length.
- Exterior has a soft and silky feel.
- Optimal piece for 40-50 degree weather.
- Wind and water-resistant.
- One chest pocket and two hand-warmer pockets.
- Hem adjustment inside hand-warmer pockets.
- Available in 7 colors for a wide variety.
- Back of the jacket and insides of the sleeves are lined with a soft fleece for comfort.
- WindWall, the jacket’s exterior fabric, has low level of air permeability.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Sleeves are too long for some body types.
- Not a stand-alone jacket for winter use.
- Boxy fit.
- Not very mobile.
- Wrist closures are not adjustable.
- Can feel wind through the non-water resistant front zipper.
- Not breathable for aerobic activities.
- Cut of the jacket causes the hem to rise.
- Heavier than other similar jackets due to thicker soft-shell fabric and fleece liner.
- The jacket fabric is stiff and doesn’t hang well.
- The two side pockets are not hip-belt compatible.
The North Face Apex Bionic 2 Softshell Jacket for men is a decent choice for those needing a moderately-protective jacket, without worrying about style or intense activity. The weather-resistance, pockets, comfort, available colors, and layering ability make this a good choice for casual use, with the non-adjustable wrist closures and lack of breathability making it not the top choice for prolonged outdoor use.