We’ve read the reviews across the web for the KEEN Targhee II Waterproof Hiking Shoe – Women’s and summarize the results below:
PeakScore: 83 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.3 stars
Expert Rating: 3.9 stars
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 1550
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Cushioned toe protection.
- Comfortable to wear with orthotics.
- The heel is high and takes the weight off your ankle.
- Stable and supportive.
- Wide toe-box and contoured around the ankle and heel.
- Insole is removable for those who need to customize the support.
- The tongue is bellowed to help keep water out.
- Minimum break-in time.
- Efficient medial-lateral stability.
- Mesh covers the laces, tongue, and ankle collar to help with breathability.
- 4mm multi-directional lugs aid in traction and stability.
- Sole consists of EVA midsole, a torsion stability ESS, and a rubber outsole.
- Tongue is well padded and the footbed feels balanced.
- Four eyelet lacing system for adjustability.
- Protection in the toe box is top-of-the-line.
- Upper part of the shoe consists mostly of leather, which is very long-lasting.
- Pull loops on the heel and tongue allow for easy on-off use.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Some issues with sizing discrepancies, with people suggesting to buy true-to-size compared to ordering a half-size up as Keen suggests.
- Not very breathable.
- May need to lace through the tongue to ensure foot doesn’t slip forward.
- Some reports of the top of the foot bruising when laced tightly.
- Foot can get hot due to lack of breathability in the waterproof membrane.
- Heavy feeling (due to durable and long-lasting material).
- Reports of needing more arch support.
- KEEN.DRY membrane isn’t the most breathable model.
- Targhee II didn’t stick to surfaces as well as the competition.
- Not for running due to weight and bulkiness.
- Shoes leaked where the synthetic mesh meets the leather of the upper.
- Midsole is exposed and shows wear-and-tear.
- Many users report delamination of the sole as a key issue.
The KEEN Targhee II Waterproof Hiking Shoe for women is a fairly reliable and durable shoe for non-aggressive hikers. Its wide toe box and non-restrictive support make this a comfortable hiking option.