We’ve read the reviews across the web for the POC Octal Raceday Helmet and summarize the results below:
PeakScore: 84 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.5 stars
Expert Rating: 3.5 stars
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 94
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Extremely lightweight construction does not sacrifice coverage.
- A great fit for those with more oval-shaped heads.
- Vents allow you to stay cool even in the warmest temperatures.
- Eyeglass garage grips store your glasses on the helmet when you’re not using them, saving space in pockets.
- Vents designed to improve aerodynamics.
- While racing, riders are more prone to accidents, so this helmet provides more coverage than the average helmet.
- Straps are run through the foam, getting them off the side of your face.
- Bright color options provide daytime visibility.
- Adjustable knob provides a perfect fit.
- Extremely vented and aerodynamic.
- Unprecedented coverage and protection.
- Lightweight straps worked into the foam lay flat and are barely noticeable compared to bulkier contenders.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- The oval-shaped construction can be an issue for those with rounder heads.
- Built for racing, POC has excluded visibility and emergency I.D. features from this helmet.
- Thin nylon-material straps that make up the harness feel too delicate.
- Lightweight construction sacrifices padding.
- Snug fit can be hard to fit an insulating cap under in colder months.
- Since the straps run through the foam, there is no way to adjust them at the ears.
- Aesthetics pay the price for this fuller coverage.
The POC Octal Raceday Helmet provides unprecedented head coverage while remaining lightweight and heavily ventilated. Focusing on raceday use, POC has cut out things such as reflective and emergency identification features under the assumption that you will be on a closed road and emergency information will have been obtained at race registration.
Editing note: There don’t seem to be any up-to-date videos of this particular helmet.
Note: User and expert rankings were reviewed across the web, including here: 1.