We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Five Ten Freerider Contact Cycling Shoe – Men’s and summarize the results below:
PeakScore: 86 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.3 stars
Expert Rating: 4.3 stars
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 443
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Very lightweight.
- Great flat pedal shoe.
- The rubber gives you super grip that feels like clipped in pedals, yet they are clipless!
- Super comfy, especially after breaking them in.
- Great for long rides.
- Uppers (the top part of the shoe, including toes, top foot, sides, and back heel ) are made from TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane) which provides protection against scraps from branches, rocks, and cranks.
- Gripless sole is still sticky enough to grip your flat pedals, but also gives you the chance to adjust your footing.
- It is a stylish shoe design with full functionality.
- Soles are made from Five Ten’s Mi6TM super cushion rubber, offering maximum grip for the surface area of your foot.
- You can adjust your footing without interference because of the gripless area located in the middle of the bottom sole.
- You can feel confident with having mobility while keeping your foot glued to the petal.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- These shoes tend to run on the smaller side, so getting a 1/2 size up, especially if you wear thick socks, may be beneficial.
- Major durability questions about these shoes, with numerous users complaining that the shoes fell apart after minimal use.
- Depending on your level of riding, the durability of the sole may not last as long as you expect for high intensity riders.
- If your petals are smoother than you’d like, you may have a hard time using these shoes to grip them because of the gripless sole surface.
- Designed a bit narrow.
- Gripless tread can cause slickness when hiking.
- Not 100% waterproof.
The Five Ten Freerider Contact Cycling Shoe is comfortable and provides exceptional grip, especially to flat pedals. Some users have complained of major durability issues, while others have avoided these problems. Overall, this shoe is super grippy and comfortable with nice mobility.