We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Lowa Renegade GTX Mid Hiking Boot – Men’s and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 1377
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Lightweight and comfortable.
- Minimal break-in time.
- Gore-Tex waterproof liner keeps feet dry.
- Leather is durable and can withstand wear-and-tear once treated.
- Lacing system with integrated tongue provides snug fit.
- Dries quickly.
- Great traction on multiple surfaces.
- Can adjust the laces on downhill by tightening the bottom 4 eyelets and preventing your feet from slipping forwards.
- Laces are durable and do not fray.
- Lace hooks are slightly bigger than previous models, which keep the laces from coming undone when your foot is flexing.
- Breathable material.
- Good fit around the heel and no hot-spot areas.
- Many reports of people being surprised how lightweight, but sturdy, this boot is.
- Mid-cut backpacking boot provides sufficient ankle support.
- Runs true-to-size.
- Boot is available in three width options: narrow, medium, and wide.
- The collar is soft when cinching the laces.
- Boot has internal Gore-Tex membrane and leather outside for waterproofing ability.
- Tongue is sewn and attached all the way around, so your foot doesn’t slide around inside the shoe and move forwards.
- The ankle collar is cushioned, and the back dips down to protect your ankle and give support.
- The design of the midsole provides good lateral support.
- Boot materials provide torsional stability (prevents feet from twisting on rocky terrain) while still being lightweight.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Insole provides very little cushioning.
- Reports of the outer seam splitting open after use.
- Toe-cap separation after use.
- Rubber starts separating from the leather in front of the boot on the top after use.
- Multiple reports of the sole coming off after only a short period of use.
- Some reports of the toe-box being too snug if you have wide feet.
- Reports of poor build-quality, such as the delamination of the sole after only a few uses.
- Laces can slip out of the hooks.
- If you’re used to using a lightweight trail shoe, this boot might seem too rigid underfoot.
- Lacing system provides a snug and adjustable fit, but not as good as the Salomon Quest 4D 3.
- Its traction is not ideal for scrambling.
- Not as durable as most midweight models.
The Lowa Renegade GTX Mid Hiking Boot for men is a comfortable midweight boot that is ideal for backpacking trips carrying a moderate weight, or shorter hikes in difficult terrain. The stability, comfort, traction, and waterproof qualities make this a great choice for hikers in various conditions.