We’ve read the reviews across the web for the YETI Tundra 45 Cooler and summarize the results below:
PeakScore: 93 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.7 stars
Expert Rating: 4.4 stars
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 2936
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Very durable material.
- Grips well in a boat and acts as a great seat.
- Keeps ice frozen for much longer than the competition.
- Multiple reports of items staying frozen for 72+ hours in warm temperatures.
- Keeps drinks inside cold for 5+ days, even if the ice has already melted.
- Features a drain plug instead of a cheaper push-cap to ensure the seal is tight.
- Doesn’t require draining very often.
- Many reports of being the best cooler on the market, especially for long trips.
- In one report, out of 12 coolers tested, this cooler was the top performer, retaining ice longer than the competition and keeping ambient temperatures inside low.
- Available in a variety of colors
- Smooth, high-quality construction, roped handles and a hinged lid that locks with rubber latches.
- Cold Lock Gasket keeps in the cold air.
- Permafrost Insulation (polyurethane foam) makes the cooler incredibly tough and water-resistant.
- T-Rex Lid latches are easy to use and secure.
- Priced competitively among other roto-molded coolers.
- Cooler is made using a rotomolding process, which eliminates the seams that tend to be weak points.
- NeverFail Hinge System incorporates the connection points into the lid and main body, leaving a simple pin to connect the two.
- Features DoubleHaul Handles and LipGrip Handles, for flexibility on how to transport the cooler.
- BearFoot Non-Slip Feet on the bottom of the cooler to prevent movement.
- AnchorPoint Tie-Down Slots are molded into the main housing just to make it easy for securing.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Expensive and heavy.
- A few reports of the ice not lasting as long as people have claimed.
- The thicker wall means you are only able to fill it with 38 quarts of water before the lid wouldn’t close without overflowing.
- The roped handles and bulky build also make it a little unwieldy to carry.
- Drain plug doesn’t have an attachment to the cooler, which means a higher chance of losing it.
- Tie-Down Slots aren’t recessed quite enough to fit the hook of a bungee cord or motorcycle strap down.
The YETI Tundra 45 Cooler is heavyweight, durable, and functional. Despite being very expensive, this cooler does exactly what it claims to do by keeping contents cool for extended periods of time. It maintains an extremely durable exterior, boasts a bear-proof lid, and withstands wear-and-tear.