We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Black Diamond Raven Pro Ice Axe and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 112
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Lightweight and durable enough to hold up well on mixed mountaineering routes.
- The cut of the top makes the axe easy and comfortable hold.
- People love how light this ice axe is.
- Super sharp — make sure you have a cover for it!
- Well-designed to fit into your hand.
- The smart build means it can be used as a great improvised anchor.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Not super versatile outside of what is was made for, and really only shines on glacier travel and steep snow.
- Doesn’t always stick well into ice.
- The grip can be a bit slippery.
- The adze is not acceptable for digging in some snow conditions due to the large hole in it intended to save weight.
- Sub-par performance on steep snow.
- The wider pick is great for self-arresting in softer snow, but doesn’t grab as well in firmer conditions.
The Black Diamond Raven Pro Ice Axe is a lighter version of a classic ice axe, and designed for those looking to shave some weight from their packs. The sleek top makes it easy and comfortable to hold throughout the day, and its durability gives it extreme longevity, even under heavy use. The major downfall of this axe is its wider pick that is much better suited for soft snow than for ice and firmer snowpacks. Despite this, the Raven Pro is quickly becoming a classic that is especially loved by beginner mountaineers.