We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Black Diamond Sabretooth Pro Crampon and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 31
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Easy to adjust.
- Easy on and off.
- Quality and durable construction.
- Does very well at climbing alpine snow, and the toe bails can be changed for a better fit at ice climbing.
- The adjustment knob is reliable, even in cold and snowy conditions.
- Very versatile.
- Great traction.
- Can mimic the stiffness of a stiff boot or the flexibility of a softer one.
- Bites well on snow and rock.
- Versatile and useful for mixed mountaineering routes.
- High-quality and durable.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Does not fit well with all boot models.
- Has the option for more customization to fit different boots, but there is very little information about how to buy these with the initial purchase.
- Difficult to change the toe bails.
- Made of steel, which adds weight but also adds durability.
- Don’t fit with all boots.
The Black Diamond Sabretooth Pro Crampon is a sturdy and versatile option for those who want to do it all with one piece of equipment. With the option to change toe bails and incredible durability, the Sabretooth can work well for ice climbing, mixed mountaineering routes, and glacier travel, and hold up to years of hard use. Although it can be difficult to get the right fit and customization on the initial purchase, once fitted, these crampons work well for most boots, although they will not work with all models. For those who do wear the Sabretooth, the ease of use and stability makes this model a perennial favorite.