We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Black Diamond Mega Light Shelter: 4-Person and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 112
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Moderately lightweight and easy to pack down small.
- Has the option to use trekking pole as the support column.
- Durable and lasts for years.
- Versatile and usable in a variety of terrains, climates, and weather.
- Great space to weight ratio.
- Space enough for lots of gear.
- Hooded vent at the top.
- Packs down very small.
- The pyramid design sheds snow.
- Easy to set up.
- The price is a great value for such a large and light shelter.
- Great shelter for snow camping since it rarely forms condensation if the walls are not pitched close to the ground.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Does not come seam-sealed (seam sealant can be purchased additionally).
- Loud when windy.
- Can be difficult to manage condensation with the door closed and the walls pitched close to the ground.
- No additional loops for guy lines.
- The material is sticky and picks up debris.
- Obviously it’s not bug proof.
- Has a gap above the ground even when pitched low.
- One of the heaviest “ultralight” shelters.
- Does not offer much bug protection.
The Black Diamond Mega Light Shelter for four people is a moderately lightweight and spacious pyramid tent suitable for everything from an emergency shelter, to cooking tent, to basecamp sleeping tent, and works in any climate, weather, and setting. Although this tent offers minimal protection from critters and bugs, it works well to defend against rain, snow, and wind, particularly with an added groundsheet and some creative thinking. Although not the lightest shelter on the market, the price makes it a bargain for the size and ease of assembly, although beware, it does not come seam-sealed and must be done by hand.