We’ve read the reviews across the web for the La Sportiva Synthesis Mid GTX Hiking Boot – Men’s and summarize the results below:
PeakScore: 83 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.1 stars
Expert Rating: 4.3 stars
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 183
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Lightweight and soft feel.
- Very durable sole for protection.
- Some extra room in the width to account for foot swelling during long walks.
- The Vibram sole can grip on multiple surfaces.
- The heel provides adequate shock absorption.
- Waterproof qualities.
- Lacing system is nice and quick for easy on and off.
- Performs well on rock, gravel, mud, and hard pavement.
- The boots keep your feet cool and prevents perspiration.
- Very breathable compared to other boots.
- The upper portion is soft and requires very minimal break-in time.
- The mesh tongue prevents the laces from digging into your foot.
- The hook lets you completely open the mouth to easily slip the shoes on and off.
- The cushioned foot-bed provide ample shock absorption.
- The high ankle collar provides ample stability, especially compared to the competition.
- Performed well in mud and snow tests, with the Impact Brake System providing aid on steep descents.
- The perforated foot-bed aids in wicking moisture out of the side vents to aid in breathability.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Reports of the laces ripping after use.
- Reports of boot falling apart after minimal use.
- Offers little arch support.
- Hiking on bumpy trails may be uncomfortable due to thin out-sole.
- The urethane insert doesn’t aid in stiffness or support.
- The insole is not supportive enough for being an expensive shoe.
- The grip is not proficient on wet rock.
- Reports of leather toe cap peeling away from the shoe.
- The plastic lock is more susceptible to breaking and failing than traditional laces.
- The chaffing on the laces can cause them to break with minimal wear-and-tear.
The La Sportiva Synthesis Mid GTX Hiking Boot for men provides a waterproof, comfortable, stable, and shock-absorbing option that is suitable for multiple terrains and trips. The sensitive sole and lack of arch support can either be a positive or negative aspect depending on individual foot types, and can determine if this boot is right for your adventure.