We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Vasque Sundowner GTX Backpacking Boot – Men’s and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 531
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Fits snug and like a glove when broken-in.
- Comfortable and grips well.
- Reports of the laces being heavy duty and tough.
- Features a Gore-Tex waterproof membrane for weather protection.
- Rubber traction sole for added grip.
- Seamless upper for added comfort.
- 2.4mm full-grain leather for protection.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Many reports of the sole falling apart and splitting.
- Longer break-in period to get the boots to be comfortable.
- Some reports of the sole pulling away from the leather.
- Many reports of the newer version not being as durable and sturdy as the older versions.
- The leather is different than older models, and the shoe does not have a Vibram sole.
- Vasque does not replace the shoe if the sole comes off after minimal use.
- The sizing runs narrow and is different than previous models.
- Newer version of this boot wears out faster on average than the older models, confirming the durability issues.
- Mixed reviews about quality control now that the boots are manufactured in China instead of Italy.
- Only one color available currently.
- Seams and stitching at the heel can cause irritation.
The Vasque Sundowner GTX Backpacking Boot for men is a comfortable and seamless-upper boot that has garnered some mixed reviews in recent times, due to manufacturing issues. The reports of durability problems with the soles cracking, soles coming off completely, and the boots wearing-out much quicker than the older models will deter most from purchasing this boot. Once the quality-control issues are fixed, we look forward to seeing how this boot performs on adventures, but for now, we would say to purchase with caution.