We’ve read the reviews across the web for the The North Face Hedgehog Fastpack GTX Hiking Shoe – Men’s and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 366
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Very well-built and comfortable material.
- Works well with orthodics.
- The heel cup provides ample room, but has a snug fit to prevent slipping.
- Narrow toe-box works well with skinnier feet.
- The upper portion has flexibility to allow toe flexion comfortably.
- Dries quickly.
- Runs true-to-size.
- Not the top choice in one specific category, but is a great all-around shoe.
- Retains grip in loose and unstable conditions.
- The waterproof membrane works very well in wet conditions.
- Low-cut and stylish design.
- Synthetic upper material is flexible and soft.
- The Vibram sole has a stylish two-color look.
- The inner rubber can stick to slick surfaces due to the softness and flexibility provided.
- Comfortable and lightweight option.
- The leather is coated with polyurethane to keep the water out.
- The shoe is sturdy underfoot and the lacing system tightened evenly.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Reports of the soles disintegrating after use.
- The toe caps have reportedly begun to peel off after use.
- Outer material wets out quickly.
- Not the most breathable option.
- Reports of hot spots due to lack of breathability.
- Lack of cushioning in the forefoot.
- Pressure points are common, and you might need to loosen the laces to prevent hot-spots, making the arch support inadequate.
- Reports of the stitching on the leather coming loose after use.
- Since the sole is softer rubber, the sole will wear out quicker than stiffer rubber.
- Shoe is stiff out of the box and takes some break-in time.
- The insole provides very little arch support and doesn’t support your foot when walking.
The North Face Hedgehog Fastpack GTX Hiking Shoe for men is a lightweight and comfortable shoe that is a great option for quick and fast hikes, and for those who don’t want any extra weight on their trip. The lack of consistent durability and weather-resistance wouldn’t make this shoe a top choice for extended backcountry adventures, but the all-around good reviews in multiple categories make this shoe a solid choice for shorter hikes.