We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Sterling Evolution Velocity Standard Rope – 9.8mm and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 67
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Durable and long-lasting.
- Good for transitioning when previously using a thicker gym-based rope.
- Can be used in single and multi-pitch.
- Handles and feeds well through ATC.
- The orange color is easy to see and stylish.
- Useful during sport climbing.
- Lightweight and soft material.
- Handles heavy falls well.
- The rope is stretchy enough to not have a whip at the end of the range of movement.
- Easy to tie and untie.
- Beginners and advanced climbers alike can use this rope.
- Smooth ride and not cumbersome to use.
- Clips easily and quickly.
- Can easily slide through belay devices without catching.
- Rated 8/10 for catch due to the smooth tendencies.
- Rated 8/10 for durability due to long-lasting nature.
- Resists abrasion, enhancing durability.
- Runs smoothly over rock without tearing.
- The thicker diameter contributes to a longer life of the rope.
- An affordable option on the market.
- Very strong and can withstand 8 UIAA falls, which is more durable than many other options.
- Categorized as a great ‘workhorse’ rope that can last a long time and perform well.
- Features DryXP UIAA water-repellent technology, which makes the rope resist dirt, water, and abrasions during use.
- Considered one of the best all-around single-climbing ropes.
- The design helps with handling strength, due to the core being stretchy.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Some reports of the rope remaining stiff over time.
- When the rope arrives, it is tightly wound in a drum coil, which can be come tangled if you undo it improperly.
- Heavier weight than some other 9.5 models on the market.
- There is no middle mark on the non-bi-pattern rope, lessening safety.
- The clipping may get tougher over time due to being floppy.
- Slightly on the heavier-end of the spectrum.
- Company’s customer service could be better.
The Sterling Evolution Velocity Standard Rope – 9.8mm is a versatile and long-lasting rope that can handle multiple types of climbs. The strength and catch provided makes this a safe rope to use, and is suitable for beginners and advanced climbers alike due to the technical properties offered on tough climbs.