We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Troy Lee Designs A1 MIPS Helmet and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 165
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Very comfortable fit and material.
- Lightweight and breathable.
- MIPS liner adds protection against rotational impact.
- Shown to be very protective in crashes.
- Covers back of the head fully.
- Good ventilation and air flow.
- Attractive and stylish color options.
- Compatible with glasses for versatility.
- Durable and long-lasting.
- Very lightweight compared to the competition.
- Straps allow for easy adjustment.
- Protects from direct or rotational impact.
- Polycarbonate shell with EPS foam allows for adequate impact absorption.
- Features 1″ of vertical adjustment on the visor for customization of fit.
- Features 16 vents for nice breathability.
- Passages in the shell allow for ample air flow and temperature regulation.
- The cam-lock in the back of the helmet aids in adjusting the fit and tightness.
- The nylon retention straps are fastened by a secure snap-buckle to provide a tight fit.
- Comprised of anodized aluminum hardware that is long-lasting and durable.
- Reportedly the most comfortable mountain bike helmet users had ever worn.
- Features a single piece of padding that covers areas in the helmet that contact the head, providing support and comfort.
- The padding can be easily removed and washed.
- Composed of 8 rear-exhaust outlets to get the heat away from your head.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Despite being breathable, it is not the most ventilated option on the market.
- Some reports of the sweat pads being adequate, but not working as well as some other models.
- The air flow is okay, but not the best.
- Straps may hit your face in awkward places and be distracting.
- Isn’t the coolest or most ventilated option available.
- The MIPS does not provide any additional padding.
- MIPS affects the sizing, meaning you should order a size-up.
- The extended surface area of this helmet may press on the arms of some sunglasses shapes, causing discomfort.
The Troy Lee Designs A1 MIPS Helmet is a great option for cyclists and mountain bikers who want an extremely protective helmet. While there are more breathable helmets on the market, the A1 MIPS provides top level safety, comfort and style.