We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Patagonia Micro Puff Hooded Insulated Jacket – Women’s and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 130
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- The neck of the hood can aid in keeping wind off of your face.
- Not very bulky, and doesn’t get caught on a belay device.
- Quilted stitching aids in keeping warmth distributed.
- Good length and the bottom of the jacket is tapered for a snug fit.
- Hood has elastic to stay in place and keep heat in.
- Very lightweight and easy to pack.
- Sleeves do not restrict any arm movements.
- Packs down very small for easy carrying.
- The continuous fabric with minimal stitching allows for the avoidance of cold spots within the jacket.
- Elastic cuffs and elastic hem to keep the jacket snug and the heat in.
- The reversible pocket can be converted into a stuff sack for easy packing.
- Glove or climbing-shoe slots/storage on both sides of the jacket.
- Very lightweight at only 8 ounces.
- Built-in carabiner loop allows for the ability to hang on a harness.
- Comfortable to wear down to mid-40s Fahrenheit with a light layer underneath.
- Retains warmth well during activity.
- Lightest weight and most compressible jacket in this space.
- Great breathability due to the baffled design.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- The snug and elastic hood isn’t the most flattering when it conforms to your face.
- The fit is a little boxy and loose in the chest, lessening the heat retention.
- The 65-gram PlumaFill doesn’t hold up to other heavier jackets in terms of warmth.
- Not the best wind protection provided.
- Not the comfiest or coziest material.
- The hood can sometimes pull the jacket into awkward-fitting directions.
- The material is crinkly and noisy.
The Patagonia Micro Puff Hooded Insulated Jacket for women is designed for light and fast trips into the outdoors. It is probably the warmest synthetic jacket in this weight class but it does come with some downsides, such as shiny material that is crinkly and noisy. However, if the jacket’s unique fit is a match for your body-type, and you’re looking to go fast and light, there is likely no better synthetic jacket.