We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Black Diamond Raven Ultra Ice Axe and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 29
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Very lightweight and convenient.
- Short for easy packing into a bag.
- Strong and durable.
- Able to feel in control while glissading without any additional weight.
- Fits easily on most ski packs.
- Sturdy and long-lasting.
- Competitive weight when compared against similar models.
- CEN-B rated allows confidence while using, meaning you can use it as an anchor if needed.
- Spike design prevents potential failure points.
- Easy and comfortable to carry.
- Great for using when you need to save weight on a trip.
- Great for general mountaineering due to the angle of the spike.
- Strong construction.
- Option of adding an axe and pick protector.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Not the most robust of an axe if that’s what you need.
- Self-arrest performance is not the best when compared to similar options.
- Spike can slip from underneath you.
- Not intended for heavy use or steep terrain.
The Black Diamond Raven Ultra Ice Axe is an easy-to-carry, relatively strong, and lightweight option for those who want to save weight on extended trips, and want a convenient axe to carry efficiently. The somewhat limited robustness may deter those who need a heavy-duty axe, but for a fairly strong and sturdy option, this is a great choice.