We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Black Diamond Raven Ice Axe with Grip and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 97
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Grip feels great and is functional.
- Very versatile in many mountain situations.
- Rubber grip provides stickiness.
- Easily-adjustable leash.
- High-quality piece that doesn’t cost too much.
- Spears into hard snow without issues.
- Able to slip the axe in between your backpack and your back for easy convenience.
- Proven to be useful in tough occasions, albeit not the most high-tech option.
- In soft conditions, it works well for chopping ice away.
- The spike is well designed for easy use.
- Very comfortable to carry in self-arrest or self-belay position.
- Good option for general mountaineering as an all-around axe.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Some may not like the non-movability of the leash.
- In firm conditions, it doesn’t work as well in self-arresting.
- Didn’t work as well with firm snow for chopping steps.
- The pick is wider and less-aggressively shaped, making it less secure on steep faces.
The Black Diamond Raven Ice Axe with Grip is a functional, versatile, and easy-to-use ice axe that has proven to be a good all-around option on the mountain. The less-aggressive shape in the pick makes it not ideal for steep terrain and hard ice, but for most mountain conditions, this axe is just what you need.