We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Black Diamond Dawn Patrol Softshell Jacket – Men’s and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 54
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Blocks the wind and keeps heat in.
- Comfortable and breathable.
- Minimalist, with a reasonable price to go along with it.
- Sheds light rain and snow due to DWR treatment.
- 4-way stretch to provide ample mobility.
- Hood is helmet-compatible and pockets are harness-compatible.
- Adjustable and helmet-compatible hood for versatility.
- Ample storage space with internal chest pocket, zip hand pockets, and two drop pockets.
- Sleeves are long enough to prevent riding up during activity.
- The length tapers near the waist but falls low enough to prevent riding up during use.
- The jacket can sit comfortably above a harness for climbing compatibility.
- Adjustable Velcro cuffs and drawcord hem allow for customization of fit.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Some reports of having difficulties with finding a good fit, with the fit being more regular cut than athletic or slim.
- If you have a thin frame, you might have difficulty finding a size.
- Not as waterproof as a full hard shell.
The Black Diamond Dawn Patrol Softshell Jacket for men is a weather-resistant, comfortable, and breathable option, that combines an active-use jacket with weather-protective capabilities. The technical features, like helmet-compatible hood and harness-compatible fit, make this a great choice for outdoor activities, while the DWR treatment and wind-resistance enhance the protective qualities. Despite some issues with sizing, if you can find a size that fits you well, we recommend this jacket for any outdoor adventurer.