We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Black Diamond Speed 40L Backpack and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 63
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Streamlined shape lets the backpack compress against your body for easy carrying.
- Great value for the high quality you get.
- 40L provides a convenient size for both day-trips and two-night excursions.
- Comfortable for all-day use.
- You can carry both heavier and lighter weights due to the shape and adjustments possible.
- A great all-around pack that can be used in various conditions, due to being well-rounded, but not the best, in different categories.
- Great volume for a lower-weight pack.
- Removable hip belt and top lid aid in the functionality and versatility.
- Features two ice-ax loops and a crampon attachment for easy use with gear.
- The shoulder straps are designed to limit pressure on your upper body.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- If the pack isn’t very filled and properly sealed, the top of the bag can form a gap, allowing precipitation to get inside.
- The back panel isn’t the most breathable when compared to other options.
- Doesn’t have the most features in comparison with other packs.
- Only able to do top-loading, which limits convenience.
- No outside pockets.
- The shoulder harness lacks adjustability.
- Not as lightweight or waterproof as other options on the market.
The Black Diamond Speed 40L Backpack is a well-rounded, functional, and lightweight pack that suits those who want a minimalist all-around choice. Despite limited features, such as no outside pockets and limited-breathability back panel, the ability of this pack to carry heavier weights and lighter weights efficiently makes it a great choice for 1-2 day adventures.