We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Osprey Packs Porter 46L Backpack and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 832
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Able to carry enough gear for trips lasting 2-3 weeks with plenty of room.
- The backpack ratchets closed easily and compactly for a secure hold.
- Fits different body shapes and sizes comfortably and with ease.
- Unloading and reloading the backpack is easy and fast.
- The ripstop nylon is durable and can withstand abrasions, creating a long-term backpack.
- Ample pockets for secure storage and keeping items organized and separated.
- Contains enough straps and support for holding the weight securely.
- Straps can hide away in their own dedicated compartment so they won’t get caught on anything externally.
- The laptop sleeve is great for laptops and for keeping other items secure and separated.
- Contains good suspension and is lightweight for all-day use.
- The compression panels on the outside of the pack create stiffness to the pack while you are filling it, but compresses securely for maximum saving of space.
- Contains a lot of padded carry handles for many transportation options.
- The waist straps are stored in the bottom and can be stowed away for flights, for ease of use.
- Very well-rounded backpack that is versatile for many conditions.
- High-quality value and backpack for costing just $140.
- Although the hip belt is minimal, it does offer ample support for moderate loads.
- Provides enough space for a long weekend trip without having to check luggage.
- The straps and semi-solid outer shell hide the pack’s zippers, which reinforces security of your belongings inside.
- Contains a top compartment that is easy to access and can stow smaller items like toiletries.
- Osprey covers you for all repairs and warranties no matter what happens to your backpack.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Some reports of the pack not being able to carry on, despite being listed as a carry-on size.
- No external water bottle holder when using as a day pack, which limits functionality.
- Some users claim the pack is stiff and flat in the back, causing some back-aches., meaning the fit might not be suitable for everyone.
- Some reports of color discrepancies online versus in person.
- The broader shape of the backpack might be uncomfortable if you have narrow shoulders.
- Does not come with a rain cover, which limits weather protection.
- The front pockets can get in the way of opening the main pocket completely, limiting the ease of use and convenience.
- The backpack might look lighter in person than it does in the photos online.
- Very little organization within the main clamshell backpack.
- The backpack is a bit boxy and clunky when walking in tight spaces while fully packed.
- Not the most stylish or sleek backpack on the market, with some users not liking the design.
- The shoulder straps and hip belt do not have a lot of padding or ventilation qualities.
- The back panel is not ventilated, so you might get hot while using in warm temperatures.
The Osprey Packs Porter 46L Backpack is a high-quality, adjustable, and durable option that is well-suited for those who frequently go on weekend trips in a variety of conditions. Despite some users not liking the fit or shape of the pack, this backpack could be a good choice for people who want a high-quality, long-lasting, comfortable, and functional option for numerous years.