We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Yakima SkyLine Tower System and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 73
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Easy to install for quick assembly and use.
- Very good price for the quality you get.
- Durable and strong for holding gear securely.
- Easy to remove for quick functionality.
- These towers are heavy duty that allow you to mount two Yakima crossbars with ease.
- Have the ability to rotate six degrees forwards or backwards so they can sit level on top of the vehicle.
- The weight limit is 165 pounds, which is more than enough for two max weight bikes.
- Very few tools required to install, and they are supplied by Yakima for ample compatibility.
- Keeps your bikes very stable and secure on uneven roads.
- Using this rack ensures there is more space in your trunk for other gear.
- Easy to set each strap’s tension as you clip the buckles into place.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Some reports of the installation instructions not being clear and slowing down the installation process.
- The pads do not sit flush with the rails, making them more noticeable and less sleek-looking.
- The tower has a gap which can let water in during prolonged rain, causing potential problems after prolonged use.
- Some reports of the screws not lining up well, hampering the installation.
- At the high end of the price spectrum, so it might be too expensive for some users.
- There is no warning in the instructions to secure the landing pads after aligning the crossbars, which can throw off some beginners.
- Doesn’t come with any locks for added safety.
- The bolts recommended for specific vehicles might be inaccurate or too short, so you might need to order two sizes just in case.
The Yakima SkyLine Tower System is a durable, secure, and functional option that doesn’t take long to set-up, despite some discrepancies in the instructions. If you are looking for a system with a high weight load that can easily carry two bikes, then this could be a good choice for you, due to the secure hold, easy installation, and easy adjustments.