We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Black Diamond Stinger Crampon and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 32
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- The adjustment is easy to do and is efficient.
- The heel screw lets you get a snug and personalized fit.
- Go on very easily compared to other crampons for added efficiency.
- Works very well for vertical climbing due to the construction and the fit.
- Provide ample stability underfoot for use on a variety of terrain.
- The bend in the front improves walking economy and makes the crampon more ergonomic for comfort.
- The secondary points add security and balance when using on tough terrain.
- Can be configured in mono and dual point frontpoint formats for versatility.
- The asymmetry makes the Stinger easy to kick in for steps on either side.
- The aggressive shape of the Stinger makes it more versatile and performance-oriented.
- The lime green anti-balling plates are stylish and sleek.
- The hooded mono-points ensure security on various types of ice.
- Features an improved fit on the toe bails and heel wires in order to increase the efficiency of toe jams.
- The asymmetric shape fits low-volume and modern ice boots very well.
- The micro-adjustable heel offers a precise and snug fit for performance.
- The fit works very well with the contours of modern boots for a snug and comfortable fit.
- Provides precise and exact performance on ice climbing walls.
- The full zip lets you get your crampons on easily and quickly.
- The added rocker at the forefront makes a huge difference and improvement on boot fit.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Not the best option for alpine mountaineering due to the shape and fit.
- Some reports of the front point needing to be refined for less ice displacement in tough ice.
- Not the best crampon for dual service ice and mountaineering terrain, but great for technical vert climbing.
- Some reports of being difficult to walk in compared to other options.
- Not the best choice for steep ice since it is a mono-point crampon.
- The points lack durability for many seasons of ice climbing.
- The rear adjust is subject to wear and tear after use.
The Black Diamond Stinger Crampon is a versatile, high-performance, and very adjustable option that is well-suited for steep vertical climbing and multiple seasons of use. Even though some users may prefer a dual-point over a mono-point crampon, this option is good for climbers who want a snug fit, comfortable crampon, and highly-compatible choice to work with a variety of boots.